Thursday, June 19, 2008

Brief as Photos: All Persons Fictitious Disclaimer

Some of my regular readers know that I started the Brief as Photos series after I read Paul Theroux’s Twenty-Two Stories in Harper’s and felt moved to write brief stories of no more than a thousand words. The idea is to write one story a week; that's 52 stories or approximately 52,000 words in one year. I wrote earlier that these would be short-short fictional stories with mostly a Foreign Service slant; I'm not sure there is a name for this genre - but I called this haiku fiction. This series is named “Brief as Photos,” after John Berger’s 1992 book, “And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos.” Liam Schwartz who writes the Consular Corner for www.ilw.com recently requested the inclusion of one of the stories here for his bi-monthly issue. Although these stories are clearly labeled as fiction, I imagine that Liam have more readers than this blog and I figure this would be a good time to add a clear "all persons fictitious disclaimer." So please note that the names and events included in the Brief as Photos series are fictional, that is, formed and conceived from this author's imagination. Any resemblance to people and events, dead or alive, are purely coincidental. There. Now I'm going back to baking under the sun. Stay well in your corner of the world!

No comments: