Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Insider Quote: Defining the Self

"On the other hand... "Sometimes, when I see where my former colleagues have gotten to, I feel twinges of regret: if so-and-so's a vice-president now, that means I should be ... what? Sometimes I also wish I'd contributed more to the family bottom line rather than spending so much time learning how to cut vegetables into dinosaurs -- but that's a complaint of stay-at-home parents everywhere. It has forced me to define myself in terms of my experiences rather than in terms of a job. I'm not an advertising executive, but I have all of these other life experiences that add up to something better than that. It's all in how I frame the question."

Donna Gorman Writer WSJ: The Expat Life, April 10, 2009 (Donna is an FS spouse with postings in Moscow, Armenia, Kazakhstan and Beijing. You may follow her blog Email from the Embassy here.

No comments: