Thursday, May 27, 2010

Be well and come back soon, NDS!


Our blog friend, NoDoubleStandards of Muttering Behind the Hardline has called it quits for now. He’s a good egg and I'm going to miss him a lot. No, the tigers did not get him or sneeze at him; he just wanted to “hang up the spurs for awhile.”

Adios, amigos | NDS  
Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hard to believe it has been a year since I started posting to this blog.  It's been fun.  I've touched on a lot of issues upon which I've wanted to rant for awhile and shared some thoughts on others that I hadn't taken time to think through and articulate previously.

The time has come, though, I think, to hang up the spurs for awhile.  I admire so many of you who manage to post quality stuff day after day after day.  I admire the dedication and creativity.  I've run into a  point where I think I've accomplished what I want to with this forum and need to channel more of the energy I've poured into it into more tangible projects.  I've begun to get more involved in mentoring and recruiting and plan to focus more on those as creative outlets.

That's not to say this blog will go away, or that I might not even post something on the rare occasion.  I haven't decided.  I may come back at a later date with a whole new blog.

But I think for now, it's best to walk away for awhile.  Seems like another quality FS blog pops up every day, and I look forward to continuing reading about all your experiences.

Thanks so much for reading the rants of a Foreign Service officer on the things that mattered to him.  That it mattered to you on occasion was a source of great satisfaction.

P.S.  Just in case you're wondering, the tigers didn't get me -- or even growl at me.  It's just time to exit stage right for awhile.  Take care of yourselves.


Be well and come back soon, NDS! 




3 comments:

Heather W. Torrance said...

Can someone explain the tiger joke to me? I think I came in in the middle of the tiger phenomenon.

Anonymous said...

Heather -
I've thought of folks in official stripes (who can bite, scare off, sneeze at or shut down a blog) as tigers. Maybe unfair to tigres pantheras but the reference seemed to have stuck for now

http://diplopundit.blogspot.com/2010/05/tiger-tiger-burning-bright-or-what.html

Heather W. Torrance said...

Thank you for the explanation. I'd seen the "Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright" post previously, I was just wondering if there was more to it and I was missing something. I guess the idea just had a lot of "legs" - I've seen several other references to it.

Is it a common occurrence for the "tigers" to eat blogs? I can see why the Department would raise concerns if sensitive matters were being discussed, but have they really shut down a blog before? In my mind there is a huge difference between asking someone to close their blog or not discuss certain topics and actually shutting down the person's blog.