Thursday, November 17, 2011

US Embassy Laos: Ambassador Karen Stewart Raps at StreetWave05, I dare you to look away

Video via The Vientiane Times:



See, it's hard to look away; stuck in my head forever now.  A blog pal worried, "Imagine her corridor rap....I mean rep.... now."  A longer and more more fuzzy clip from the US Embassy is here. Can't tell what she is rapping about, unfortunately, as the video in the embassy's YouTube channel contains no description of what this is about.

Ambassador Karen B. Stewart is a career member of the U.S. Senior Foreign Service.  In July, 2010, President Obama nominated her to be U.S. Ambassador to the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, she was confirmed by the Senate on September 29, and presented her credentials to the President of the Lao P.D.R. on November 16.

A native of Florida, Ambassador Stewart joined the Foreign Service as an economics officer in 1977. Her last overseas posting prior to  Vientiane  was as Ambassador to Belarus where she was apparently disliked by Europe's last dictator, and had to return to the U.S. even before the mission in Minsk was shrunk to a skeleton crew.

No, I don't think she performed this rap in Belarus.

And yes, I am extremely worried that some other American ambassador elsewhere is going to try and top this.

Update:
Thanks to Kelly (see comments) for posting the translation of Ambassador Stewart's rap from the embassy's FB page:
"I am really happy and excited. I love music and singing. I rap all the time at the embassy. I've got a pen in my right hand, a mic in my left. Who would believe the Ambassador can rap? I'm the Ambassador, my name is Karen Stewart. My raps are all clean, so the police don't have to check. Who would believe I'm 59 years old? I've got mad rapping skills like a 14 year old!"
I understand that the video uploaded to the QDDR site is actually titled "u-s-ambassador-to-laos-raps-to-teens-about-counterfeit-medicines."




2 comments:

Kelley said...

I'm so happy to rap... Who can believe an Ambassador can rap...My name is Karen Stuart...(and I can't make out the rest!)

Kelley said...

update-embassy posted this on their FB page:
"I am really happy and excited. I love music and singing. I rap all the time at the embassy. I've got a pen in my right hand, a mic in my left. Who would believe the Ambassador can rap? I'm the Ambassador, my name is Karen Stewart. My raps are all clean, so the police don't have to check. Who would believe I'm 59 years old? I've got mad rapping skills like a 14 year old!